Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wesak Blood Donation Campaign 2009

written by Jiar Hwei

On Labour Day (1 May 2009) fell BUBS annual Wesak Blood Donation Campaign. This year, I vowed to donate my blood instead of chickening out *cough* like the last two years.

Basic guidelines to follow when you want to be a blood donor:
  • Enough rest/sleep before donating
  • Had food before donating
  • 17 years and above (17 years old require parents' consent)
  • Feeling well (and do not have any serious medical conditions e.g. HIV/Aids, STDs)
  • Weigh 45 kg and above (this one I pass lah, for sure)
I was there early with my mother, hoping to be one of the first few. I have this feeling that they always treat the first few people with more care. Heh.

First, you have to fill up an extensive form (it's dwibahasa like your SPM paper) about your information and medical background. You then weigh yourself (!) and wait for the guy to test you blood. They prick your finger with this cool plastic thing to get the blood out and they test the iron consistency in it by seeing does it sink to the bottom of the liquid. After that, they test your blood type by doing cute doodles on their clipboard. Hah. I'm type B.

Next you get your heart/blood pressure measured by a fresh/training doctor. I had to get it done twice, so I was kinda afraid that there was a problem with me. When that was done, it was just getting my donors book ready and done!

So here's the part that makes me nervous. I was the 2nd donor of the day and was determined to get this over and done with. But, the nurses couldn't find my vein to poke in. I was panic, saying things like "Am I too fat? Is that why you can't find it?" Well, they just ignored me lah, 'exercised' my hand to get the nerve out.

The getting the needle part in was hard, I'll admit, but wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be. My mother was trying to distract me until she couldn't stand the sight of blood herself. After that, my hand was numb and I couldn't feel a thing while my bag was filling up with blood.

I finally overcame a fear of thinking it's super painful to donate blood when it really isn't. A whopping 450 ml! I did get a little dizzy after but I just had to lie down for a minute and down a super sweet cup of gluclosin (grape flavour!). It's really a great meritorious deed to give your blood to someome who needs it. So if you do fulfill the guidelines, I urge you to give it a go!

PS: Vice Prez Eugene was there to donate his blood too, like a pro. Btw, he's special cause he's type O.

PPS: I rewarded myself by stuffing down a Big Mac during the McDonald's 12-3 lunch promo.








No comments:

Post a Comment